Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Discernment

This excerpt is taken from Tim Challies blog on discernment.  He compares writing out long division with discernment.




We cannot simply leave discernment to the experts. Rather, we each need to learn to discern and we each need to grow in the skill of discernment. Like using a calculator for division, we can rely on others to give us the bottom line. But like doing long division, it is far better to do the work ourselves and to ensure we understand how to discern. The theological equivalent of using a calculator may be just Googling what John Piper or John MacArthur says about a certain topic and taking that word as law. It may be asking a parent or pastor and accepting what they say without further thought. We are all prone to want to get to the final tally without going through the intervening steps.

I think he makes a great point.  We are living in a "get it now" type of world.  That's why we have the 3G network from AT&T.  We always want answers faster.  That's why we have itouches or iphones, so we can get information on anything wherever we are and whenever we want.  If it takes more than 2 minutes to download, we think it's taking forever.


It's good to ask question and seek advice.  But I think that Tim hit the nail on the head.  Often times teenagers just want the right answer.  Here are some topics to help gain perspective...


Dating - How far is too far?  When should I be allowed to date?
Future - Where should I go to college?  What should my major be?  
Friends - Should I go to this party?  When coarse jokes are being told, should I walk away or say something to my friends?


These questions are good questions, but godly people could give you different answers for each one.  That's where you need to seek God's Word (and obey your parents) to use biblical discernment.


Here are a couple questions to help you use biblical discernment...


- Will this girl/guy/school/major/party help me to become more like Christ? (Eph. 5:1, I Cor. 10:31)
- How can I use this situation to love others? (I Jn. 4:18, Matt. 22:37-40)


You cannot take the word of fallen sinners opinions when it is not backed up with biblical principles.  Seek godly advice and seek God's Word.


Do you have questions about what is right or wrong or what you should or shouldn't be doing? Don't ask yourself "How close to the line can I get before I am sinning?", but "How close to holiness can I get?"


What are some other questions that you could use in discerning what is God honoring and what is not?


No comments:

Post a Comment