Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What are you "Committed" to?

Think about the things or people that you are committed to.  Most of you teens (and myself) are committed to Facebook.  We will say, "I will never betray you O Facebook.  I will always go to you for wisdom, guidance, and so that people know that I am a fan of smiling.  Without you, I would not know whether Pastor Matt is feeling crazy today or whether Pastor Mike is still awake after 9:30pm.  I am in need of knowing what everyone else is doing at all times and Facebook.....i....i love you."

Commitment.  Can you be in a relationship and not be committed?  Sure.

You can be in a relationship with your parents, but don't obey them or respect them or go to them for advice.  You can be in a boy/girlfriend relationship, but at the first sign of trouble, you break up.  You can go to school day in and day out, but never turn in homework on time and sleep through classes. 

Sure you can be in a relationship and not be committed.  Have you made "commitments" to something and then bailed because you wanted to do something else?

This is a constant dilemma for households, so I desire for you to think about these questions as a family.

- My son wants to be in church, but he really loves being on the sports team.  What do I do?
- My daughter wants to be in the play, but she'll have to miss Wednesday night. What do I do?

There are many other scenarios that can be played out.  What is it for your family? 

David was quite a busy guy.  Lots of things on his plate, being king and all.  He said, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act." (Psalm 37:4-5) 

Whether you are involved in band, sports, or drama, we are to ALWAYS commit our ways to the Lord.  We are to ALWAYS delight in Him.  When you decide what you will be involved in this coming year, remember that you have an outstanding commitment already...to your Savior who purchased your life with the shedding of His blood.

Praise the Lord, He is always committed to us, even when we commit ourselves to others...He is ALWAYS faithful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment